Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Focus



Nolan has made so much progress since he was a little guy. Just the other night he asked to read to me (which he never does), and I sat down to listen. As he read in his robot monotone voice, my eyes welled with tears. I didn't focus on the fact that he is way behind his peers. Nor did I think about the ever widening gap between him and his friends. I focused on the fact that he was READING.......to me. If I let myself dwell on the "what ifs" and the "if onlys" and the "whys" all the time, I would fret with worry and feel discouraged. Instead I'm going to focus on right now and how far he has come and all of the obstacles he's worked through. I've been thinking a lot lately about how I'm choosing to direct my focus. As a runner, when I run a longer race, I guess I take a similar approach. I try not to focus on how many more miles I have left, but how many I've already accomplished. Nolan has a long race ahead of him, but I'm going to focus on the miles he's already conquered.

1 comment:

l lingo said...

Jill I have enjoyed getting to know your 3 oldest & look forward to have Natalie when she is older, but I have to admit Nolan has stolen a piece of my heart. I look forward to his smile every Monday morning at crosswalk.

I love the way you look at life. Some many times we focus on what we haven't done, instead of what we have. Life is too short to dwell in the what ifs. Blessings to you & your family!