Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Letting Go


I am trying to let go of some things as a mother. Like choosing all three of my kids' outfits. I've been blessed with unpicky kids, when it comes to appearance. I've always matched their outfits, chosen their shoes, or atleast gently suggested choosing certain pairs of shoes that satisfied my taste. I might say, "How about these, these are cool." Somehow I turned into a clothes and shoes salesman with my children. And it's like they're little dolls for me to dress up. So it was really hard for me to let go recently, when my older son Brendan wanted to get his hair cut really short. At first he mentioned it occasionally and I would just brush it off. Then he became more persistent. My husband and I joked, "Isn't this scenario usually the other way around with the kid wanting to grow his hair long?" We loved his long hair, his beautiful auburn locks. But it was making him hot, getting in his eyes, and becoming a pain to style everyday. So we gave in and I had to come to the realization that this is a good thing, him having his own preference on his appearance. Him having an opinion and wanting to be seen and heard. It's not like he wanted a tattoo or piercing. But oh, how it's hard to let go!

1 comment:

Libby said...

I hear you Jill. My girls love to pick their own clothes and it is difficult to let them leave the house with mismatched outfits. They think they look great (and I am glad for their self-confidence). I need to get over my concern about how others perceive it - do they think I am an incompetent mother who doesn't know how to dress her children!?! Who cares, really? Better to let them express themselves with their clothing than in other, more permenant ways!