Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Don't Worry, It's Not Child Labor

If you walk into our elementary school, you may see a jolly, freckly-faced little fellow pushing a mop down the hallway alongside the school's custodian. Mr. Muskodian is what Nolan calls him. He's had a fascination with both the custodians all year long. So his teacher had the brilliant idea of having him help "Mr. Muskodian" as a reward for working extra hard. And Nolan has been thrilled! Since typical rewards don't interest him, this is right up his alley. He is currently involved in a research study at KU, involving teaching social skills to children with autism using different teaching strategies. So the students working with him asked me what motivates him. I promptly said, "Ceiling fans." They thought I was joking. Uh....not. As I was walking down the hallway at school today, I introduced myself to "Mr. Muskodian" as Nolan's mother. He was so pleased to have Nolan help him, and I think he is really enjoying being useful in that way also. I am so thankful for Nolan's Kindergarten teacher. She is so creative, supportive, and resourceful!

4 comments:

agnicholl said...

What a great post--makes me smile :)

Mojavi said...

that is awesome! It is teachers like that you will always be thankful for!

Rachel said...

hey check out this new vitamin for autsim and attention issues-https://www.neurorelief.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=5&id=89&Itemid=47

my doctor is checking up on it for some of my kids sleep issues but they have different ones for other stuff too

kreed said...

Wow! I missed a bunch on your blog! Thanks for the reminder about the fruit and veggie contamination list - Bryn is always very put out with me during the winter becuase I won't buy imported grapes...poor kid! And good luck with your training - I will likely see you out on the road as I get ready for my 60 mile walk in August!

I also love your poem and am so impressed with Nolan's teacher for coming up with the mopping idea - sounds like a good way to make for a happy kid and a happy custodian!