Monday, April 20, 2009

The Highest


While on our visit to New England last Fall I was just in awe of all of the Church steeples everywhere. And I immediately felt at home when I saw them. I've been wanting to write a poem about them ever since my visit.....


I traveled home and there you were,
An unexpected treasure.
Everywhere I looked, your graceful white steeples,
Soaring and peeking over treetops,
Reaching elegantly towards the Heavens,
As if saying, “Here I am. I will not be forgotten.”
These villages were built around you.
In a time of radical change and turmoil,
Firmly you stood and still stand.
A comforter in a time of need.
I saw your beacon of light and felt a warmth flood through me.
I was home.
And there you were, my Inspiration, as always.

2 comments:

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

That was beautiful. Really.

kreed said...

Artist and poet...you are amazing!